Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is granted by the Government of Canada (Vanier C.G.S.) in 2008 to help reposition the ability of Canada to attract, harness and retain talented Postgraduates (Doctoral) students.
Similarly, Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier C.G.S.) program is granted by the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) on behalf of Canada’s three federal granting agencies. The Secretariat is housed within the Canadian Institutes of Health Research in Canada. Always visit Scholarship Venue for the latest Jobs, Study Grant, Financial aid, Jamb, and Scholarships.
In the same vein, Vanier Canada Graduates Scholarships aim to establish Canada as a global Centre for Academic Excellence in Research and Learning.
About Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Host Institution: All Canadian Universities with Vanier C.G.S. allocation.
Scholarship Country: Canada
Target Group: Canadian Citizens
Number of Scholarships: Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually. A total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
Duration: 3 years (Non-renewable)
Deadline: November 2nd 2021.
Level of Study: PhD/DPhil programmes (or combined MA/PhD or M.D./PhD) in health research, Natural Sciences, Engineering Research, Social Sciences and Humanities Research.
The scholarship is Scholarships are distributed equally between the three federal granting agencies:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Scholarship Value for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The recipient of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships will receive $50,000 per year for (3) three years. None renewable.
You can also apply for the following scholarship opportunities
Eligibility Criteria for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Scholars seeking Vanier Scholarships should possess the following outlined criteria to be considered:
- It would help if you were nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier C.G.S. quota;
- Must be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as M.D./PhD, D.V.M./PhD, J.D./PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Should have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2022
- Have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by May 1, 2022
- They are enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g., M.D./PhD, MA/PhD, D.V.M./PhD. Applicants that fall into this category have access to the 32-month window whether or not they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program.
- Accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a PhD (no time spent in a Master’s program); or
- It is accelerated from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without obtaining the Master’s degree.
- As determined by your institution, you must have achieved a first-class average in the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from C.I.H.R., NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Application Procedures for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Each student must be selected by one of the participating Canadian Institutions. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier C.G.S. program.
You can only apply for this scholarship either in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier C.G.S. program, OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
In conclusion, visit the official scholarship website for your application and further enquiries. Official Scholarship Website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html.